Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Old Maid Activities

Attend my re-christening ceremony. Procrastination. That's what I should be called......I embody it. Oh, and my middle name, is, (not hard to guess)...Laziness. I am not ashamed to confess to those chinks in my armour. Surely, everyone has some, uh, weaknesses.

I'm growing older by the day, with not much to show for my age. And I am obviously excluding physical signs of aging from that. Oh! What shall become of me ;)

I have had the chance to catch up a bit on my reading, as well a spot of movie watching, though, in the past few months. So I read

  • 'For Martimonial Purposes' by Kavita Daswani : Fast-paced, witty, quick read about a single Indian woman and her family's quest to get her married. Good read, I thought, considering I might just be the author's inspiration for 'Anju'.
  • 'The Namesake' by Jhumpa Lahiri : I found this one better than her 'Interpreter of Maladies'. All the characters seem very real, the conflicts between two generations and the tumultous blending of two cultures over two generations are portrayed with just the right amount of empathy, I thought.
  • 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown : Ok, with due respect to Dan Brown fans, this one, I found disappointing. The Da Vinci Code was good, but in this one, it seemed to me that Brown was trying to do too many things towards the end. Or maybe I am not the readership intended for this one!
  • 'Rang De Basanti' : With sooooo much hype and hoopla, I confess I was looking forward to watching this movie. And except for about the last 40-odd minutes, it lived up to its promise. Messy end, a bit like the Angels and Demons one, where the makers appeared to want to cram lot into the remaining reel. Worth a dekko, though. (I know Aamir fans find this sacrilege, sorry people!).
  • 'Real Women Have Curves' : Completely, totally recommended by moi! This is an HBO original, a little bit of a women-empowerment line running through it....but very gratifying to see a plus-sized teenager (with a really sexy attitude!) who is so comfortable in her own skin, literally! Move over, Kate Moss! Catch it on HBO if you can.
There are some works-in-progress -- To Kill A Mockingbird, Atlas Shrugged and Room With A View, to name a few. All of whom have been waiting patiently for my attention. But then, surely you haven't forgotten that I am about to be renamed for this trait of putting things off, lately?



3 comments:

Emm said...

You have got 'Room With A View' on tht wip list as well?? Oh Procrastination! Oh Laziness! Oh Vee!

Btw, we share middle names. And first names. And umm, whats your last name?

Arun said...

Ya! You got "Room with a View" on the list as well? How insulting! EM Forster must be rolling in his grave. And "To Kill a Mocking Bird"! Harper Lee and Clark Kent are insulted. Seeing that you have written so many reviews, I see that procastination sure delivers. It can be a way of life. hehe.

Anonymous said...

well, well, well, u must be reading urself to an english degree. but excellent books, i like ur choices.