Monday, October 15, 2007

Autumn

Nov/ Dec, not Oct as it says at the beginning of the post.

I love autumn. It gets my vote for Best Season of the Year. Especially since there is no autumn in India, for me, it inspires a child-like awe. Everyday, on my way to university with A, the gorgeous autumn colours all around and the constant rustle of falling leaves makes me want to capture it all in a painting. Not that I can do it. And not that people haven't done it wonderfully already. I want to describe it all in words here, but all I can come up with is 'visual poetry'.

There is this one particular tree that I am in love with. It's not very tall, so that it branches out at just the right height for me to appreciate. Its leaves are a gorgeous red-yellow, slightly shrivelled, making it look like a small brown light stand with baubles. You think I'm getting carried away? Well, I would have justified my fawning, if only I'd clicked it in time. As with many other tasks that I procrastinate, it's a wee bit too late now - the little leaves are gone, leaving the tree looking like so many others around it - a sad, cold, naked frame, wishing for spring again. What are we taught in childhood Moral Science classes?In Kabir's words "Kal kare so aaj kar.....". Oh well.

To comfort myself about my flawed existence, I baked a nice banana loaf with A on a lazy, rainy (hello, this is England!) Sunday afternoon. Now, he says he has what is called in Malayalam as 'kaya punyam' ('haath gun' in Marathi, the Midas touch for cooking). Whether it was his hand or the chef's (aka Me) skill, the loaf turned out comforting and more! Hot tea and some banana -walnut loaf. Aaah, bliss. Celebrate autumn :D ! This one I clicked.(..am I a fast learner or what ;)). Come share it.


Of course, I am late in completing this long-back begun entry as well, so that it is winter when I write. Which translates as cold winds and ...yes, more rain. Give me back my blue skies!! And, await my next entry while you're at it.

No comments: